A bladder program helps you to increase bladder tone and regain bladder control without the use of a catheter. Many patients experience incontinence or accidents due to disease or old age. Bladder programs help to increase your self-esteem and avoid the chance of a urinary tract infection from continued use of a catheter.
Your nurse will instruct you on bladder control techniques, such as:
- Voiding after meals and fluids
- Voiding after naps, before bed and before activities
- Using a toilet instead of bedpans
- Developing a bladder routine
- Fully emptying the bladder each time